Sunday, September 22, 2013

Infinite Wanderings


I have an endless amount of words to describe Cannes: inspiring, meaningful, blue, tranquil, lighthearted, s l o w. I am forever in love with this place. It has constantly been offering me life, and I have been receiving it with open arms. 

The beach is my backyard and we swim in it, The Mediterranean, every day.

Le Collège International de Cannes, where I have been studying French the past week, houses students from all over the world. I have had the chance to meet people from all around and learn about their culture, hear about their home, and the most fun, listen to them speak a different tongue

I've been practicing my butchered French with the French nationals who are here to learn English and much of our conversations go a lot like this, "I'll speak to you in French, and you speak back to me in English." 
But this only lasts so long...

The streets in Cannes are hilly and mainly cobblestone. There are men who walk around them playing violins and accordions for you with smiles across their faces. I walk down these streets in awe of their beauty. I've spent most afternoons exploring where they lead. Conveniently, many end with a quaint café on the corner, where you can sit, eat a crêpe, and people-watch for hours. 


And drink some of these.


Cannes' restaurants make it easy for lovers to have a romantic night.


We ventured up a hill with winding stone steps though it was steep and a lot higher up than what we had anticipated, but we continued. We reached the top where there was a lookout tower that allowed you to see a magnificent view of Cannes. There are few tourists in Cannes at this time of the year so we were able to stare out at the ocean and the port from one side and at gawk at the mountains on the other for a long time. 
I have one more week here to explore some more and to feel warmth before a certain city's lights replace the quite moonlit town. 

Port de Cannes

1 comment: