Saturday, January 25, 2014

Back To

I fit the past four months into two suitcases and a backpack. I made my bed one last time in Paris and closed the door behind me. I walked down the skinny hallway, placed my key on the dining room table, walked down to the foyer, and out onto Rue Saint Dominique one last time. It was 4:30 a.m. when I said goodbye while the rest of the city continued to sleep. As the taxi drove by many of the places I spent time in, a slideshow of memories, rendezvous, and eaten baguettes resurfaced. I past and left metro stops behind that I often met friends at, and suddenly my tale in Europe was ending.


I'm now home and being outside means silence. The air is crisp and the ocean continues to crash. I drive down Conanicut Avenue and notice the familiar site is comforting.



My days are filled differently. I stay in bed a little longer. I see trees outside my windows, and some mornings when I'm lucky, the birds chirp. Routines have begun and more importantly I see faces that I missed seeing. Life here kept moving as I jumped out of it for a short while, but it was just as easy to fall back into it. There is a little less to observe at home so my brain can finally hear itself think, though I'm starting to question whether I believe this is a good thing. Sometimes it's better to not pay so much attention to the details.

I have time now to catch up on those t.v. series that used to rule my world, cook in a kitchen that isn't the size of a hallway, but also eat out in restaurants where the staff remembers me (and is happy to serve). I ride on wheels now rather than trains so it's nice to see life moving above ground. Did I ever leave?





1 comment:

  1. Dear Paula, dear cousin, you could not chose better words to describe the feeling of being back home. I can see your sea through your eyes and understand completely what it means, that tension between an inside which has changed and the same people, landscapes and routines dragging out the old you.. Eventually the two will start to get along and all the memories will begin to emerge, of this i am sure! I send you a big hug, with a little regret that I couldnt make it to save time to visit you in Paris, with the hope that we will meet eachother soon..and a smile for the discovery of this amazing "cugina" I was not aware to have! keep on writing, Chanty

    ReplyDelete